Eligibility for VA Health Care
Each veteran who submits an enrollment form will be placed in one of eight priority groups. All veterans can enroll in the VA Health Care System. Some veterans will be placed in a subcategory of Priority Group 8 and will not be eligible for health care services. Eligibility for services is determined by the following conditions:
- Former Prisoner of War (POW) - Is a person who, while serving in the active military, naval, or air service, was forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty.
- In receipt of the Purple Heart Medal.
- In receipt of the Medal of Honor.
- Have a VA awarded service-connected disability of 10% or more.
- In receipt of a VA Pension.
- Were discharged or separated for medical reasons, early out, or hardship.
- Were discharged from the military because of a disability (not preexisting)
- Are found by VA to be Catastrophically Disabled.
- Previous years' household income is below VA's National Income or Geographical-Adjusted Thresholds. Hardship applications are available if current year’s income is significantly lower than previous year’s income.
- Served in the Republic of Vietnam from January 9, 1962 to May 7, 1975 or the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990 to November 11, 1998.