Nursing Home and Assisted Living Claims

For veterans and their unremarried surviving spouse a “Non-Service Connected Pension” may be approved to provided additional monies each month to pay for care in home care, a nursing home or assisted living facility.

Remember, qualifying criteria include:

  • your household income
  • your household assets
  • your household medical expenses
  • your age
  • your level of disability
  • time period in which you were on active duty.

This is not a benefit that every veteran qualifies for. All the same rules apply for a surviving spouse.

Wartime veteran does not mean that the veteran served overseas or in the area of combat, only that he/she served during the period of time established by the VA as qualifying time.

The pension would be provided to those who are “private pay” in one of the facilities. For those who meet the criteria for pension (this must be a single veteran or a surviving spouse), but are Medicaid patients, they may be eligible for $90.00 personal needs money from the Department of Veterans Affairs. This money cannot be taken by Medicaid to pay for the facility services.

The Ashland County Veterans Service Office personnel are trained to evaluate each individual situation to help determine the best benefit possible. We welcome calls from veterans or family members.

More Information

Non-Service Connected Pension